I’ve got 6 tips to consider before you sell your house.
- Declutter: This is number one because the most important thing you can do to get your house ready. You’re going to be moving anyway, so start packing. Go room to room and look at every item and categorize them as either keep, sell/donate, or throw away. Pack up what you won’t need or use before the move and store them until moving day. If you can, rent a storage shed for this.
- Depersonalize: Unless your tastes cater to the majority of your targeted buyer pool, remove very taste specific décor and pictures. You may love Chip and Joanna, but not every buyer is excited about a house full of windmill blades and shiplap. (Personally, I love it!)
- Fix anything that you’ve been putting off. Consider getting a pre-inspection to eliminate surprises during the contingency periods of an offer. You may want to take care of the items that come up on the inspection. This way, a buyer is going to feel good about the condition of the house right from the start.
- Curb Appeal: Cut the grass, trim hedges and overgrown foliage. A pot of flowers by the front door can draw a buyer in. Make sure your house is picture perfect from the street.
- Clean, clean, clean: If you don’t want to do it yourself, hire it out. Don’t forget the windows! Don’t ask, just do it and once you’ve cleaned them, you’ll understand why.
- Enlist a professional: Contact a trusted Realtor who will guide you through the process.